Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Monday 23 May 2011

Stylised ceramic bull by Jema, Holland.


















I have these two stylised animal figures, and I think they're both very handsome.

The top one is quite a large and powerful looking bull in hand-painted blues and greens. The surface is decorated with bands of impressed motifs. I'm not sure exactly when he was made but it is marked on the underside Jema, Holland.

The second figure is also of a bull. This one is even more stylised in shape – almost cubist in construction. He's in a smart deep blue, has a finely textured surface and a nice semi-matt glaze. I don't know much about this second bull. I suppose he could have come from Spain. Both bulls are made of earthenware and are hollow.

As part of my scaling-down process, I considered keeping only one bull but in the end could not choose which one would have to go so I decided to keep them both, for now. Although they do take up quite a bit of space, the good news is that they don't eat much.


4 comments:

  1. The first one is very similar to an Italian bull from Bitossi. That series is called Rimini blue, and the designer is Aldo Londi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment form55. I've seen the Bitossi bull and, you're right, it is very similar. It's also very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ive seen the 2nd bull listed on ebay as Bay ceramics (keramik) from west germany...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info. I was wondering where he'd come from.

    ReplyDelete