Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Thursday 19 May 2011

Lehmann stoneware vase. A Danish delight.

































I'm hoping to do a couple of blog-posts on Scandinavian ceramics. This seemed a good one to start with.

Although this vase is perhaps by one of the less well-known of the Danish potteries, it's one of my favourites.

Made by Lehmann, I would think in the 1970s but I'm not certain of that. The vase is solid and stocky. The majority of the surface has been left unglazed, revealing the beautifully textured, almost black stoneware. The hard, sharp stoneware has an almost volcanic ash feel about it. This is all complemented perfectly with the thick, shiny, deep-red glazed top.

Judging by the Lehmann label, it looks like the makers were proud to be Danish. And, if you ask me, they can be proud to have made this pot, too.

if you know who the designer of this pot was, I'd be pleased to know.

1 comment:

  1. I have a Teapot Warmer from Lehmann Keramik, of similar glaze and textured finish to this vase for sale in my Etsy shop. I believe the teapot warmer is designed by Erik Lundbergh Ebeltoft so the vase is probably by the same person. The glazes are lovely and rich in colour and depth, and a brilliant contract against the chocolately textured surface.

    ReplyDelete