Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Soholm Joseph Simon wall tile. What a relief.






























One of my first blog-posts on Potshots was on a selection of ceramic wall tiles by Soholm, Denmark. Some were designed by Noomi Backhausen. You can see the original blog-post here: Soholm wall plaques

Here's another Soholm wall tile, this time designed by Joseph Simon. I would say the tile dates from the mid-1970s. The simplified and stylised illustration is wonderful and the rich red and blue glazes are intense and rich. One really striking aspect to this wall tile is the depth of the relief molding. There's a real three-dimensional feel to the tile. When it's displayed on a wall, it gives an impressive effect – a piece of art that's both a picture and a sculpture at the same time.

I have this wall tile hanging in my work room and it's a constant pleasure.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment Gila. Do you think that's a bird on the stem of the plant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar one, too. Home in Finland.
    I found it from a second hand store. I paid only 10 euros (8 GBP) of it... Felt like I found a treasure for free... :)
    First I thought it was made by Noomi, but the signature was "Simon".

    ReplyDelete