Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Sunday 5 June 2011

Scheurich West Germany Fat Lava vase passes the test











When it comes to the West German pottery known as Fat Lava, there's such a huge range of design styles and colour schemes, it's difficult to know where to start. If you tried to collect everything you found with West Germany on the base, you'd soon run out of space to keep it all.

For that reason, I've tried to limit the numbers of Fat Lava items in the Potshots collection. I decided to pick up only the pieces that really appealed to me – to restrict myself to items that are particularly pleasing on the eye.

This tall blue vase I found recently, certainly passed the test. I like the tall, narrow shape with the flared neck. The strands of thick orange 'lava' glaze have a texture almost like orange peel and they contrast perfectly with the deep blue and cool grey of the background.

The vase is marked W GERMANY 520 22 on the base. I think this is the mark for Scheurich, West Germany. I would say the vase is from the 1960s.

You can find lots more 'lava' on this excellent blog: Blurat blog

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the shout out to my blog. I completely agree with you on only picking up the pieces that you genuinely like--in the beginning I dragged home every vase in good condition that I could find, but quickly became very picky about what I actually want to make space for in my home. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete