Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Wednesday 31 August 2011

These Hornsea Beaded pots deserve a closer look

















This delicate surface pattern is known as Beaded. The pots are by Hornsea Pottery. The graphic designer, I think, is Jack Dadd. The range is from the early 1970s.

To me, the design has a wonderful lace-like quality and the black linework on the ivory-coloured background looks clean and bold. The look is further enhanced by the slight irregularities that occur in the hand-drawn design.

I understand that the range was not a good seller for Hornsea. It's a pity. Because I think this is a design that deserves a closer look.

I found another example of Jack Dadd's work in the V&A museum. You can see it here Jack Dadd mug

2 comments:

  1. I agree. And I think there is something very British about this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Janne.

    ReplyDelete